Tuesday 27 October 2009

Time for Miracles - Video Review


Yes, I'm slow. I wasn't going to do a review of the TfM video (HQ version here) but since there's not been a lot over the last few days, I thought I might as well. I wasn't as excited about seeing it I was on hearing the song probably due to a slight aversion to big budget Hollywood disaster flicks. All the film-makers seem to have gone to the same school, churning out the same disaster-movies-by-numbers stuff. I guess it's like one of those foil balloons that come in certain shapes - all garishly decorated on the outside and hollow on the inside. Maybe I should stop turning my nose up at these but I'm just too jaded for my own good.

I didn't have high expectations because of this but was still hoping that what I predicted turned out to be very wrong. The opening shot is one of Adam looking reflective, crouched up on a city rooftop in front of an apocalyptic sky. Although the colours are pretty, we know it's a harbinger of looming disaster. Walking through a burnt-out smoky landscape interspersed with solar prominences, we get to see end-of-the-world Adam close up singing the first verse. A little unkempt and stubbly, his skin looks darkened by dirt although his eyes remain gleaming and his teeth shine a bit too brightly. His hair is a little matted but slightly different on each shot. The epauletted coat and scarf are a little scruffed up but the look is still signature Adam. He finishes the verse with puppy-dog eyes and a pleading look. I'm not a fan of the clichéd slow-motion shots especially as they're not synched very well.



On reaching the chorus, we get to see more destruction including the obligatory explosions and cars on fire. Some of the expressions seem inconsistent, cutting from sad resignation to singing his guts out. In the first close-up on the roof the lighting is a little strange and quite unflattering. Adam's blue-grey eyeshadow looks much too dark, almost like he's just changed out of drag and hasn't had enough time to remove the excess make-up. It doesn't seem to be in keeping with his overall look, which takes me back to his semi-final performance of Satisfaction. It's followed by some close-ups sans eyeliner that make up for it though.

The second verse is illustrated by a walk down a panicked street with chaos all around and people bumping into Adam but he seems oblivious and very much focused on his own inner struggle - hoping for a miracle to save a doomed relationship. There are some pretty shots but I find myself distracted by the mysterious appearance of Groucho Marx eyebrows.

The scenes of destruction and explosions become grander in scale as the whole world seemingly crumbles when we approach the climax. Adam breaks into a march with a purpose and sings with ferocity, flared nostrils and all. His expressions emote the magnitude of the OTT scenes of the planet's annihilation. Subtle it is not but suitable it is. We're later greeted with sunny scenes that spoil the end of the film - not that anyone thought there would be anything but a happy ending. The video ends with Adam in a memorable and commanding pose in front of the city skyline.

The video is shorter than the mp3, omitting some of the chorus repetition after the crescendo. The cutting between scenes is a little too fragmented for my liking and ends up impeding my enjoyment of the video. It doesn't do justice to Adam's acting abilities. Although I would have preferred more Adam time, I think it hit a fairly good balance in not being too self-indulgent. It doesn't look like it was done on the cheap with all the special effects but what I find strange is there seem to be many details that were overlooked which leaves ample room for improvement. This is his first music video but it's not his project - he's merely the paint for the canvas, not the artist. The result is predictable and lacks imagination but it has a brief to fulfil which I think is met with fairly enjoyable results.

What I'm really looking forward to though is seeing the canvas by Adam the artist. I have no idea what to expect which makes it all the more exciting. The only expectation I do have is that he won't be painting by numbers. We are so agonisingly close. Aaagh! I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I cannot agree more on your review.
    It's too cliché, too predictable, not too much Adam.
    His hair/face stylization is simply awful and the whole context lacks some balls.
    Luckily I know that it has nothing to do with the real Adam-artist we are going to witness very soon. #agonisingly close#
    Loving your style & your site
    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Adam Bombed....I have to vent....just saw the Adam cover art and it is AWFUL!!! Oh god...what can I say? Big time disappointed. Please tell me what you think. It's a parody of him. Nothing more. Where is my fucking beautiful Adam Lambert??????????

    ReplyDelete