Sunday 19 April 2009

Top 10 - Tracks of My Tears


When Adam first appeared on this episode as he came on stage, I wondered where he was. It took me a while before I recognised that he was wearing a completely different look to what we'd seen before. Like all great artists, he revealed his ability to re-invent himself and adapt. I realised that Adam is as much about fashion as he is about music and we would not only be looking forward to hearing him sing but also seeing what he would wear. He's the only contestant who already has a strong, well-honed image about him and I can only praise his skills in styling. When you look at the other contestants, they often look slightly embarrassed and uncomfortable, as if their mothers had forced them to wear clothes they didn't like.

The mentor this week was Smokey Robinson, and Adam rather bravely dared to do one of his songs. Smokey must be ancient by now, but was dressed in very casual clothes. I couldn't believe how well preserved he looked. It's like he's an android with wrinkle-free skin and bright blue eyes. Adam's voice on the preview clip was velvety beautiful and his expressions showed a very soft side. Adam seemed very attentive to what Smokey had to say, and Smokey was impressed with Adam, saying that his version was original because he stayed tender, forsaking the usual crescendo. When asked about what inspired him to write the song, Smokey completely missed the point of the question and explained what the song meant instead. Adam politely accepted being left in the dark by the explanation and responded with an 'oof' to the magintude of pain described.

Adam was dressed in a shiny grey suit and black shirt, with slicked back Elvis-like hair. A very clean-cut look but with elements of edginess from his ring, earrings and a lightning-shaped pendant. This guy certainly knows how to accessorise. He was sat on a stool at the end of a line consisting of the band. I felt myself hold my breath when he came on and throughout the performance. His voice was sweet and sounded vulnerable, slightly shaky at points, on baby and need but that's just my perfectionism speaking. The acoustic arrangement complemented his vocals well as he generously used his falsetto. There were a lot of close-up shots of his face and he seemed completely immersed in the song. I felt temporarily transported into his world and was moved. His last note was just incredible, sending a shiver down my spine. How can anyone hold a note like that? I thought with his strained face on the final note, he looked like Leonardo di Caprio.

Adam thanked the band as they left, as Smokey led the audience to its feet, and rightly so. All the judges gushed as Adam stood on the stage looking rather shy. He seemed a little taken aback by their comments and was very appreciative of them, thanking the judges. He seems to be such a genuinely sweet and humble person.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to TOMT this was one of my favorite performances EVER on AI so great it was our Adam that did it. BTW Smokey got what Adam meant by inspired to write it. He did answer him too. Smokey was inspired to write TMT because when someone cries so hard for so long it leaves tracks in their face. I am one of those ancient people you referred to when saying Smokey was ancient. I grew up listening to Smokey. Just don't understand the "ageism." We all get older it's just a fact of nature. You will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little taken back by the ancient remark as I am close to Smokey's age and grew up listening to him always a huge fan of his and the Miracles. I have the greatest respect for Smokey not only as a singer but also as a songwriter. As Ryan said Smokey has written over 4000 songs that number is mind boggling. I wish people would be sensitive other people's age or perceived age. After all we will all be Smokey's age some day. I also got that Smokey did understand Adam's question as to what inspired him to write the song.

      Delete
    2. Sherry, I responded to this ancient remark in the comment below. The fact that I feel Smokey has been around making music for a very long time does not diminish my respect for him as a singer and songwriter. I don't find it any more offensive than, say, calling a teen star a foetus. It's humour.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous, the answer didn't shed any light on what experiences led to him writing the song so I think it was a bit pointless. We already knew what the song was about. With regards to your accusation of ageism, aren't you being a little oversensitive? There isn't anything negative about older people. "Ancient"'s simply a humorous exaggeration because it feels like he's been around forever as I grew up listening to him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smokey's Tracks of my Tears was a favourite of mine many years ago and Adam blew me away with his version. I was stunned - still am. Thanks (Denise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, it felt like the RoF-ToMT combo was like a 1-2 knockout punch. They were so different which makes Adam all the more amazing.

      Delete