Wednesday 15 July 2009

The Cover


I know it's been a long time, but I just wanted to comment on that cover. I'd been waiting for it to arrive here in the UK for what seemed like forever but now I have it in my possession. Thank you so much to everyone who generously offered to send me a copy! When I called up the nearest big newsagent asking whether they had RS and who was on the cover, the reply was 'That bloke who won American Idol.' It amused me that Adam Lambert has the power to alter history.

When I got there, I looked for the green amongst the myriad of music mags and found one copy peeking out. My face dropped a little when I picked it up and saw that the cover was dog-eared. I searched the rack and found one more copy hiding behind a pile of Q magazines (I'm sorry to the Glambert who probably hid it and hope this blog makes up for any bad karma!) so snatched it up quickly. When I got home, I realised it was a less-than-perfect copy. There must have been a bit of a printing mishap because there were various ink splotches on the photo of Adam applying eyeliner. It does detract a little from the picture but could also look like a deliberate effect so I gave it points for uniqueness (continued after photo).

Adam Lambert Wild Idol Rolling Stones cover green snake

Even though I'd seen it and read the article from scans, I still found myself staring at the photo for some time. It's an incredibly arresting, erotic photo and the first thing that struck me were those eyes. They are thickly lined and intense and see straight through to your deepest buried secrets. His head is angled so he's looking slightly down, showing who's in charge of that power struggle. He's playing with you because he knows your darkest desires and wants you to explore them. The self-assured 'come hither' expression, the barrier of arms out of the way, the very dilated pupils and the open mouth are suggestive of a state of arousal, daring you to try to see if you can handle what's next on that messy unmade bed, or whatever fiery impulses lead to.

The next thing I was drawn to was the crotch area and the luminous green python with its forked tongue licking out. That snake is truly a thing of beauty - I never knew they came in such brilliant shades of colour. It was Adam's idea to use the snake in the shot, alluding to the Garden of Eden and wanting people to question the concept of morality. Then there's the starry butterfly next to it, which was the stylist's idea. There's a lot of symbolism to be made of what these elements mean. The snake embodies temptation (you know you want it, quit resisting and just succumb to your infernal desires, bitch!) but is in itself phallic, and the way it rests on his crotch could point towards his homosexuality. The butterfly is quite feminine, complemeting the masculinity of the snake and perhaps representing Adam's experimentation with masculinity, femininity and androgyny. I think it reinforces his belief in the universality of attraction and the fluid nature of sexuality. It could also symbolise Adam's liberation in finally spreading his wings after emerging from the safe conformist middle-America-pleasing AI chrysalis to reveal his true fabulous nature. Next I'm drawn to the chest, exposed by his unbuttoned shirt, and the notice the stubble. There seems to be a tie draped over his neck, which adds a kinky S&M element to it. His wrists are inviting to be tied up and he's willing to be submissive whilst remaining domineering. The thick ruffled hair begs to be grabbed onto - you'll need to hold on for the ride of your life.

The Rockstar Adam photo simmers and is reminiscent of Jim Morrison but with more clothes on. The composition is superb, I love the understated colour and the areas with the strongest contrasts lure you to the two focal points: face/crotch crotch/face, one leading to the other, and we're torn between the two. It's one sexy MF of a cover which I feel is another one of those full circle moments where he started on the Idol stage doing a Rolling Stones cover only to end up as the cover of Rolling Stone.

12 comments:

  1. Stubble on his chest? I thought these were freckles. I agree this is a beautiful and very sexy photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which is more erotic, the cover or your description! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the poster above,your description and the cover are highly erotic ! The cover is Adam in all of his glory,it's stunning ! How can one man be so beautiful ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your profession is not writing for a living - it should be. You have done a fantastic job on this blog. Again - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding site -- a favourite of mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off-topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for finally changing your site background color to blue. For months my eyes strained reading the white text against the black bg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! I guess the article says more about me than it does about the cover. I didn't quite mean for that to happen!

    Anonymous(es) - thank you for your lovely comments, I'm pleased to be sharing the Lambert Love with you. Also, feel free to put forward suggestions as I didn't realise the black was hard on your eyes. Is the blue still a little too dark?

    Judy - I still can't stop staring at it! He's so distracting.

    Juli An - That's a massive compliment, thank you. I hadn't done any writing before this. It seems that The Adam Effect is extremely inspiring and has brought out the creative in me. I'm thrilled you enjoy the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time stood still and is forever frozen in time....when Adam Lambert stepped forward and opened his arms and held me is a warm embrace asking me, "How are you, Kim?" We had a great hug and I got to give Adam a kiss on the cheek but in all the thrill and excitement I accidently missed (oops!) and kissed his neck instead (even better!)lol!Adam singed his FYE CD, my GNT tickets AND his Rolling Stones poster....the one you featured...in gold pen right in front of me! I had these items professionally framed in conservation glass. I chose black leather matboard and used a bit of flirty black plumes and snake skin trim to pull it all together and give it an "Adam Lambert" feeling. He would LOVE this piece if he saw it! It now hangs on my Glam Nation Rock Wall of Fame in my home along with other pictures of the GNT concerts I attended. I worked with an artist and we used frames that compliment each other in a Glam and Glitter yet edgy sort of way. I won backstage passes to Meet & Greet Adam Lambert through our local radio contest! This contest was an impromptu fund raiser for local victims of a tornado which did massive devistation to our community just days before Glam Nation Tour came to Toledo OH. (I collected $700.00 in donations in just one hour) Adam is all about LOVE and reaching out and giving to those in need so meeting Adam Lambert and also helping local families made my experience even better...IF that is possible! Adam Lambert and I had our photopgaph together. It is on the cup that I drink my coffee out of every morning! What a way to start my day :) I am still trying to learn how to upload this photo as my profile picture. I am one of Adam's biggest fans EVER! I love him SO MUCH that my family, freinds and coworkers threaten to commit me to the Adam Lambert Rehab Facility! The "standing joke" around our house is that *I* know things about Adam Lambert before HE even does! lol Adam is SO beautiful both inside and out! He is genuine and authentic and amazingly gifted and talented...we all know that! I love him for WHO his is and for all he stands for! I adore Adam EXACTLY the way he is! I am a 55 year old Mom/Grandma/Preschool Gymnastics Instructor and one of Adam's biggest cheerleaders! Kim...Glam Nation Grandma who is "SoakedinGlitter"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, what a wonderful experience you've described! I'm glad you've given your pictures pride of place in your home to allow you to relive the experience over and over. How lucky you were to win that M&G! And well done for collecting so much money for charity. Keep cheerleading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Lambosessed for sharing this stunning Adam Lambert photograph with us again! I am blessed and fortunate enough to enjoy this beautiful photo of Adam every day in my Adam Lambert themed home office! I met Adam backstage on June 8, 2010 when I won a private Meet and Greet with him through a local radio contest.*Story above. When I posted the above comment as "Anonymous",I failed to include my Twitter name which is motheranimal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim with above posts dated Oct. 31, 2010 and
    Oct. 3, 2011 - Twitter motheranimal

    ReplyDelete
  12. motheranimal, thanks for returning here to share your love of this picture again! I'm glad you've learned how to use your photo with Adam as your avatar. I've learned so many new things from following Adam too!

    ReplyDelete